Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Black and White Square aka Nanaimo Bars

October is breast cancer awareness month. I will self proclaim myself as one of the biggest supporters. having my grandmother, my step mother and a very close friend of the family whom have been diagnosed  and are survivors and many more. I see the work that they are doing. I have no problem shouting it from teh roof tops!

This weekend there is a fundraiser happening for my stepmother whos been diagnosed with cancer. I wanted to donate something but wasnt quite sure what to do. So I decided since there was going to be lots of food, I would look after the dessert part. Well do I have a line up for you today.

Growing up I was taught that these are called Black and White Squares. I have learned thats not the only name for them! Call them what you want they are soooo delish!!

you will need:

BOTTOM LAYER

1/2 cup unsalted butter (Euro-style cultured)
1/4 cup sugar
5 tablespoons cocoa
1 egg, beaten
1 3/4 cup graham wafer crumbs
1 cup coconut

Melt first 3 ingredients in top of a double boiler. Add egg and stir to cook and thicken Remove from heat. Stir in crumbs, coconut  Press firmly into an ungreased 8 X 8 pan.

SECOND LAYER

1/2 cup unsalted butter
2 tablespoons of milk
2 tablespoosn of vanilla pudding
2 cups icing sugar

Cream butter, cream, pudding powderand icing sugar together well. Beat until light. Spread over bottom layer.

THIRD LAYER

4 squares semi-sweet chocolate (1 oz. each)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter

Melt chocolate and butter over low heat. Cool When cool, but still liquid, pour over second layer and chill in refrigerator

No comments:

Post a Comment